Sunday, October 2, 2011

World's Largest Crochet Quilt



When there's a chance to go see an attempt to break the world record for the largest crochet quilt I naturally jumped at the chance. My bf will probably never stop making fun of me for this, according to him I'm a total yarn nerd.

I didn't take part in this project as I *hate* making granny squares. They are quick and easy to make, but darning the ends, oh boy that's tedious! And don't let me get started on joining the squares, yawn! But in respect for all the patient crocheters around the world I simply had to see this.

In Helsinki, Finland, local womens organization Martat alongside with the largest yarn manufacturer of the country Novita and craft teachers union were covering the stairs of Helsinki Cathedral with thousands of granny square quilts yesterday. The quilts were made my hand by volunteers around the country and gathered together by the said organizations. According to MTV3 news there were 3800 quilts, consisting out of 152 000 granny squares, covering the stairs. They actually managed to get together 7800 of these quilts, but couldn't fit them all on the approx 50x28m stairs! Mental!


The separate quilts were joined together with cable tie for the occasion and will be donated to various charities after the event.

5 comments: