Anyways, I have a few felt projects stashed up that didn't turn out the way I wanted, a few rectangular knitted felted pouches that are not very neat around the edges. These date back to time when I was only starting to experiment with felting.
So I came up with a few ideas on how to give a new life to a felted piece using only left over materials I have in my stock anyway.
Here's what I started off with:
- a tartlet tin
- scrap felt and fabric
- little pieces of left-over felt for stuffing the cushion, fiber fill or similar will also do
- hot glue
- faux pearl necklace for embellishment
My mom is a wizard with thrift stores, she makes such incredible finds and they are always bargains. Unfortunately I haven't inherited that quality, but lucky enough she has donated me loads of her excess stuff, like these old little tin tartlets. I myself am a hoarder and have saved stuff like little pieces of left-over felt from various wet felting projects and they are perfect for stuffing up this little pin cushion. I've also got loads of old costume jewelry and beads saved up and wanted to use some of them on this project too.
I started by cutting out the embroidered piece of the felt patch (and saving it for later, naturally!) and cutting a small circle, just a little bit bigger than the tin.
Then I cut another piece out of scrap fabric to make the bottom of the cushion and sew the pieces together inside out. I left an inch of the seam open and turned it back around.
As the top of the cushion is felted wool, it's thick enough to hold in a rougher stuffing without looking lumpy so left over felt was perfect for this project. I cut the scraps into a fine fluff.
After stuffing the cushion I checked if it still fitted the tin and as it did, finished the seams.
I hot glued the cushion into the tin placing tiny dabs of glue both on the bottom and around the edges.
And voilá, my pin cushion was ready!
But as I have tons of old costume jewelry I decided to slaughter some of them and gave an old necklace a new purpose placing the faux pearls along the edge of the rim. I hot glued them too, just because I'm lazy.
And it turned out wonderful!